Sunday, October 2, 2011

5 more weeks until race day

Another week is in the books and I have only 5 more until race day!  I don't feel like writing tons so I am going to write it in the style that my students love the most, bullet points.
  • I found out I am in the very front of the 2nd wave of the marathon in corral 22.  I am on the blue track which means only the pro's are on the blue track ahead of me.  Long story short, when I start I won't have tens of thousands of people in front of me, only the few hundred that might be in front of me in my wave since the pros will be way ahead of me.
  • The IT band is a nuisance, but manageable.  It hurts the most to walk up and down stairs.  
  • I got a new pair of Zoot compression calf sleeves that I really like.  They are basically the same at my Zoot compression socks, but I can wear my toe socks with them.  
  • I ran a 45 minute tempo run on Wednesday and peaked running at 7:08/mile for 1.25 miles.  I felt great and could have gone faster and longer if I needed to be.  This got me thinking about running a 5k and going for sub 20 minutes(which I've always wanted to do).  I've never ran a 5k competitively and if my body is up for it I want to run the Turket Trot in my hometown Thanksgiving morning. 
  • What a difference it makes in my pacing while running by turning my Garmin watch from "pace" to "lap pace."  I would always feel like I was speeding up or slowing down trying to get my right pace.  Now after about a quarter mile I tend to be right about the pace I should be running and it does not make me feel like I always have to fluctuate my speed so much.
  • I have now lost a total of about 6 pounds in all of my marathon training and weigh 164.  As I started my training I wanted to be around 160 for my race, which I might get to, but I am happy with where I am at and will be happy even if I don't lose anymore. 
  • Since my race is a Sunday morning, I've been think about how I can check to see the injury report for my fantasy football players so I can change my lineup if need be.  I've come up with two solutions.  The first being, run an hour and a half faster than I originally planned and get back to my iPhone before the games start.  The problem with this plan is, well, it's impossible.  My second solution is to give my password to a friend and have him do it for me.  Probably the most feasible.  Maybe I'll tweet Matthew Berry for ESPN and see if he'll help me out.  
Thanks for reading!  

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Matt! Mike and I enjoy reading about your journey and look forward to hearing more about it. - Lacee

    ReplyDelete